Before his death the Mayor of Phantom Canyon was the Mayor of the town of Thunder Mesa. He died in the year 1860 when a massive earthquake devastated Thunder Mesa and sent a portion of it into a ravine which would come to be known as Phantom Canyon. In death the mayor ruled over Phantom Canyon as it's mayor.
The Mayor appears at the beginning of the Phantom Canyon portion of the attraction. The character welcomes the guests as they pass by but as he tips his hat his head tips as well revealing his decapitated state. As he tips his hat he recites pieces of dialogue taken directly the Ghost Host from the original attractions.
As he welcomes guests to Phantom Canyon, he invites them to join the 999 ghost citizens and become the town's 1000th resident. He also warns them to "Beware of Hitchhiking Ghosts", foreshadowing the guests' final encounter with Mélanie in the crypt (or in the original attraction before the 2019 refurbishments, the Phantom).
- Ah, there you are! Welcome, foolish mortals
- There’s no turning back now! Your cadaverous pallor betrays an aura of foreboding
- We find it delightfully unlivable here in this ghostly retreat! Actually, we have 999 happy haunts here, but there’s room for a thousand. Any volunteers, hmm? If you should decide to join us, final arrangements may be made at the end of the tour.
- The voice of the character is provided by actor Paul Frees through the use of audio recordings taken for the Ghost Host
- The character's physical appearance in the original version directly taken from the Dreamfinder animatronic from the extinct Disneyworld attraction Journey into Imagination. The 2019 updates to Phantom Manor gave him a more skull-like face.
- Like most of the other ghosts in Phantom Canyon, the Mayor appears to be an animated corpse rather than a disembodied spirit
- The Mayor is holding a skull-like "Key to the City" which is a visual-pun on the word "Skeleton Key".