Disney Kingdoms is a line of comics printed by Marvel comics in conjunction with Disney. Based on the themes, characters and story lines present in Disney's original attractions at the theme parks (and even on unused attraction concepts, in some cases), the comics tell stories that expand on these existing tales.
In publication order:
- Seekers of the Weird (based on the unbuilt Museum of the Weird)
- Figment (based on the defunct Journey Into Imagination)
- Big Thunder Mountain Railroad (based on Big Thunder Mountain Railroad)
- Figment 2 (based on the defunct Journey Into Imagination and its successor attractions)
- The Haunted Mansion (based off of the attractions of the same name)
- Enchanted Tiki Room (based off of Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room)
Differences in Continuity
There are some inconsistencies between the cannon presented by Disney Kingdoms and the established cannon of the Haunted Mansion and Disney Parks.
- In place of the Imagination Institute from the parks, Disney Kingdoms: Figment features the Academy Scientifica-Lucida.
- Disney Kingdoms' Big Thunder Mountain Railroad features Jason Chandler, a young man, miner and robber who is an enemy to the Big Thunder Mining Company during the 1880s. In the cannon story of Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Jason Chandler was an ally of the BTM Co's owner Barnabas T. Bullion, provided the company with its technology, and was of working-age since 1851 at the latest.
- In the Haunted Mansion comics, the only ghosts who died within the mansion are explicitly stated to be the Captain, the Hatbox Ghost, Constance Hatchaway and Madame Leota and that the rest of the ghosts moved there post-mortem. Setting aside the large swathe of ghosts with cannon or semi-cannon connections to the Haunted Mansion's story, in the story we see the hanging carcass of the Ghost Host. Considering how the Ghost Host's corpse is seen hanging in a noose from the rafters of the mansion, this would mean that he died in the Haunted Mansion. However the Ghost Host is never encountered as a spirit, meaning that in this continuity the Ghost Host either does not exist or that the lore of the comic is inaccurate to its own story.
- It is also possible that the Ghost Host is the Captain but this brings its own issues.
- Constance Hatchaway is said to have died young in Disney Kingdoms while in the Haunted Mansion, a portrait of her as an old woman can be seen in the Stretching Room.
- Constance's mother bears a fair resemblance to the woman in the painting, perhaps implying that she is the subject of the piece rather than Constance in this continuity.
Disney Kingdoms references several attractions and properties which their comics don't necessarily revolve around.
The Haunted Mansion
- Danny Crowe's grandpa having died on the Matterhorn is an allusion to Matterhorn Bobsleds, a Disneyland rollercoaster found between Fantasyland and Tomorrowland.
- The Captain and the secret-room storing the mansion's treasure contain veiled allusions to Pirates of the Caribbean.
- Constance says, "Pirate's sing too much" as an allusion to the song, "Yo Ho (A Pirate's Life for Me)" from Pirates of the Caribbean.
- The Ghostly Materials Gallery contains photos of Phantom Manor and the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror. The Hatbox Ghost mentions it connecting to, "Mystic" locations as an allusion to Mystic Manor.
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
- Cover-art shows elements of the Balancing Rock Canyon from Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland as part of the mountain range.
- Abigail Bullion attends the Golden Horseshoe Saloon, a classic Frontierland restaurant in Disneyland known for hosting the Golden Horseshoe Revue.
- The robbers in the story are modelled after Bandidos designed by Marc Davis for the unbuilt Western River Expedition.
- At the end of the story, Jason Chandler proposes that Barnabas T. Bullion and the people of Rainbow Ridge aid him in the construction of a colony dedicated to technological innovation. This is a tribute to Discovery Bay, and unbuilt, "Land" proposed to have been built in Disneyland by imagineer Tony Baxter in the space currently occupied by Star Wars Galaxy's Edge.
- In Figment 2, EPCOT's Spaceship Earth is a hovering monolithic geodesic sphere of unexplained origin.
- In Figment 2, the character of Dr. Brainard from the Absent Minded Professor (1961) is mentioned as visiting the Academy Scientifica-Lucida from Midfield University, a location from the film as-well-as several other Disney sci-fi comedies.
The Enchanted Tiki Room
- The comic's story is based on the 1977 ABC fantasy-drama Fantasy Island.
- One of the recurring characters in the comics is the Orange Bird who was created for Walt Disney World's Adventureland as an advertisement for the Florida Citrus Commission and the mascot for the Sunshine Tree Terrace.